By Betine van Zyl Smit
- Represents the 1st quantity to provide an entire review of the reception of old drama from antiquity to the present
- Covers the interpretation, transmission, functionality, creation, and variation of Greek tragedy from the time the performs have been first created in historical Athens during the twenty first century
- Features overviews of the background of the reception of Greek drama in such a lot international locations of the world
- Includes chapters protecting the reception of Greek drama in sleek opera and film
Read or Download A Handbook to the Reception of Greek Drama (HCRZ - Wiley Blackwell Handbooks to Classical Reception) PDF
Similar literary criticism & theory_1 books
A progressive determine all through his profession, Dante Gabriel Rossetti’s paintings offers a fantastically progressive lens wherein the Victorian interval could be considered. Suggesting that Rossetti’s paintings may be approached via his poetry, Brian Donnelly argues that it's either inscribed by way of and inscribes the improvement of verbal in addition to visible tradition within the Victorian period.
Engaged debate between feminist, political, and psychoanalytic thinkers has secured Julia Kristeva's prestige as probably the most ambitious figures in twentieth-century serious concept. however, her exact relevance to the research of literature - the level to which her idea is in particular a literary thought - may be difficult for brand new readers to fathom.
English Writers, an try in the direction of a historical past of English Literature through Henry Morley. This publication is a duplicate of the unique e-book released in 1887 and should have a few imperfections corresponding to marks or hand-written notes.
During this, the 1st book-length examine of astronomy in Hardy's writing, historian of technology and literary student Pamela Gossin brings the analytical instruments of either disciplines to endure as she bargains unforeseen and complicated readings of 7 novels that enhance Darwinian and feminist views on his paintings, expand formalist reviews of his fulfillment as a author, and supply clean interpretations of enigmatic passages and scenes.
- Gaelic Scotland in the Colonial Imagination: Anglophone Writing from 1600 to 1900
- The Markurells of Wadköping
- Routledge Revivals: William Shakespeare: The Anatomy of an Enigma (1990)
- W. B. Yeats: A Critical Introduction: Volume 3 (Routledge Library Editions: W. B. Yeats)
Extra resources for A Handbook to the Reception of Greek Drama (HCRZ - Wiley Blackwell Handbooks to Classical Reception)
A Handbook to the Reception of Greek Drama (HCRZ - Wiley Blackwell Handbooks to Classical Reception) by Betine van Zyl Smit